The present day name is the corrupt form of the Abbaye de la Paix or the Abbey of Peace. The building is regarded as a masterpiece of Gothic art and the most beautiful Gothic building in the near east.
The first monks who were known to have settled here were Augustinians who had to flee from Jerusalem when the city fell to Selahaddin Eyyubi in 1187. It is known that the original construction was built between 1198-1205, and a large part of the present day complex was constructed during the rule of French King Hugh III (1267-1284). The cloisters and the refectory were built during the reign of Hugh IV (1324-1359).
For more info – Bellapais Abbey
Address: Bellapais Abbey, Beylerbeyi, Girne
Phone: +90 392 815 21 45